Monday, October 22, 2007

Southern California fires




I digress from discussing writing and editing because of the terrible fires here in Southern California. Overnight, I felt like I was back in Virginia in the middle of a hurricane, minus the rain. These are the strongest Santa Ana winds I've ever experienced. The smoke is thick; schoolkids have indoor recess because the air quality is so bad.

Yesterday we went to church shortly after watching the news about Malibu Presbyterian burning to the ground. Village Presbyterian meets in a school because it's a new church and land is so terribly expensive here. But I think we all felt grateful that we even had a place to meet. It helped remind us that what really matters is a community of faith, not a building.

1 comment:

Rachel Hamby said...

I hope the fires are under control soon, Cindy! That picture tells it all. I can just imagine what the air smells like.