Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Highlights Foundation workshop







I've been meaning to post some spectacular photos taken by one of the workshop participants, Amie Jane Leavitt. She took hundreds, literally, and they were all so beautiful that it was hard to choose. The fall colors were nearly at their peak. Although it rained more in a weekend than it has in a year in Southern California, it was the perfect place for a hike in the woods when it did dry out.
I truly understand the concept of a writer's retreat now. No internet/emails or cell phones to distract; just peaceful, beautiful surroundings to inspire.

Since I've been back home, I've found my writing has improved more than I could have imagined. I cut out nearly 500 words from the original version of a magazine story that I was asked to submit to Highlights after it was critiqued by an editor there. I had thought it was fairly tightly written to begin with, and was surprised I could reach the target word count without decimating the story. I'm also happy with the new magazine story I wrote while I was there, and am thrilled I was able to revise a tired old picture book manuscript. I'm still working on my story for the Highlights fiction contest; something set in the future is a definite challenge, but I've begun a draft of a story for it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gorgeous photos! Can't wait to read those new stories and revisions.

Tracy