Wednesday, November 14, 2007

NBC is the biggest loser

Last night I was putting together certificates/ribbons for the PTA arts contest I co-chair, and was half-watching a TV show I'd never seen before -- "The Biggest Loser." Going into a break, they had a bumper graphic with trivia, and the word "vaccuming" was spelled in large letters. It appeared later in the show as well. It's a good thing I didn't have anything to throw at the TV. How does that graphic survive intact after being viewed by countless producers, editors, and directors who work on a show like this?
I'm going to start a new feature of this blog documenting the horrifying misspellings I come across so often.
Meantime, my husband spent part of his day writing to the Los Angeles Times. The first had to do with the word "juggernaut" that was spelled "juggernat" in a headline. I quote now directly from his second letter (Isn't there something seriously wrong when a newspaper like the LA Times can make this kind of mistake? In addition to the reporter's error, where on earth was the copyeditor? Scary!)
The reason that "the principles are not doing much
talking" is that principles can't talk. Why the
principals mentioned in your story aren't talking is
another matter.

No comments: