Sunday, July 6, 2008

Not everyone should work as a copyeditor...

Would you hire this person as a copyeditor or proofreader? (Name deleted to protect the not-so-innocent.)

From craigslist:
Hi there! My name is ------ and I am offering my services as an editor/proofreader. I have 5 years of experience in the editing field and have a true passion for and command of the English language. My prices are extremely competitive and my turn-around time is lightning fast. I work from home, so I have no distractions and can focus completely on the task at hand. I realize that some documents entrusted to me might be highly sensitive. I can assure you, as I have an extensive medical and legal background, your documents will be treated with strict discression.

So, if you need professional assistance with ANYTHING English, this includes tutoring, just email me. I would love to work for you!

2 comments:

Peter Dyson said...

How would someone get started in the field of professional proof reading? How did you get your start?

Anonymous said...

I got my start after many years of daily writing and copyediting in television news. After I decided to freelance, I studied some of the excellent books that are available on the subject and did a few projects for friends for free. I slowly took on paying clients after that.

I think there are a number of different paths to being a copyeditor. Certainly working fulltime as a copyeditor for a publisher, be it in books, magazines or newspaper, would be a typical background for a freelancer. My problem is that anyone can post an ad on craigslist and declare themselves a copyeditor, whether they have any special training or experience or not. And as the ad I cited shows, many people who believe they have superior skills in spelling, grammar, etc. do not. Equally as important are the skills of extreme concentration and attention to detail.

Hope this helps! Good luck to you.