Friday, December 7, 2007

Christmas misspelling, writing update



I've seen a couple of different ways to spell Frasier tree, but this isn't one of them. There's an excuse, though. The tree was manufactured in China.

As for the decision to buy an artificial tree, it was tough. Part of me still thinks it's a travesty. But I also realized that wrestling with lights on a real tree that dies in mid-December, topples over unexpectedly, spills water when it does so, and embeds pine needles throughout my house was killing my joy in the season. So, although I miss the wonderful smell of a real tree, I've made peace with my fake one. I've attempted to take a picture, but it didn't turn out well at all.

I've done little writing lately, due to little time because of demands of the season. I've been working on revising my Highlights fiction contest stories since I need to submit them next month. And I'm pleased that I have two picture books being held by Blooming Tree Press following their recent submission call.

My major challenge for the week was preparing a novelty book for submission. I'd heard the editor speak at a conference in October and knew I had something that would fit well with what they're looking for. However, she was very clear that it was insufficient to send a manuscript alone, even if it came with instructions for the novelty idea. She said writers needed to design a dummy spread. So, I did, thanks to some help from clip art. (I first attempted to draw a bunny myself, with absolutely no success.) I created a bunny, complete with a touch-and-feel cottontail, that "hopped" in a sliding motion on the page. For someone with next to no artistic talent, this was a huge stretch. No matter what the editor's eventual response, I felt a sense of accomplishment in sending it off.

No comments: