Friday, February 1, 2008

One more chapter ...

Chapter 17 is now done with one final chapter to go. The book is turning out longer than I expected (it will probably be about 12,000 words) but I feel good about it. My first reader (AKA my husband) accused me of "jumping the shark" in chapter 16 and I went back and he was absolutely right... I toned down some of the purple prose.

I continue to fight exhaustion and a stubborn cough. I felt silly going to the doctor a week after I'd had the flu, but I couldn't deal with the feeling in my chest anymore. It's apparently just short of pneumonia so I came home with an inhaler, antibiotics, and heavy duty cough syrup with codeine that's making me feel quite loopy right now.

Agent Nathan Bransford's First Pages' contest has been fascinating. I've enjoyed reading some of the 675 entries, but my eyes quickly glaze over if I read for long. It gives you an appreciation of what agents must go through. The entries that start with extreme violence or action that comes with no context are a huge turnoff to me, partly, I suppose, because my taste normally runs to literary fiction. I definitely find myself drawn to many of the MG and YA entries. It will be interesting to see who winds up winning!

Meantime, I have a new copyediting client that promises some very interesting work. It's scheduled to start later next week, so I'm certainly hoping I'll be feeling better by then.

No comments: