Monday, January 21, 2008

Wonderful chapter books

I've been reading a lot of different chapter books lately since I've started one of my own (or perhaps mine would be more accurately called a younger middle grade book). I was at the hairdresser on Friday and started to cry as I finished a lovely book called "Ark in the Park." My hairdresser is Iranian and didn't understand that it was the book, not the chemicals all over my head, causing it. I've also absolutely loved "Clementine," "The Legend of the Worst Boy in the World," "Ivy and Bean," and "Marvin Redpost, Super Fast." Each has a distinct voice that rings completely true.
I also just finished "13 Reasons Why," a YA book by Jay Asher. It's not a genre I normally read, though I was completely blown away by "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian" recently. It deserves every bit of recognition it's received. I felt much more mixed about "13 Reasons Why." Though I literally couldn't put it down until I finished and thought it was fascinating how the various characters connected, I felt as if I never fully knew the central Hannah character (despite her dictating the tapes). The blame aspect was bothersome too. But I did love the ending with its message of hope and second chances.
I've finished chapter nine of my book -- about 7,000 words -- but have reached the part that's going to be the most difficult to write. I haven't completely worked out in my own mind how to resolve a central problem. I've never been a good outline writer, whether it's for an academic paper, journalism, or children's writing. I tend to have a broad idea of where I'm going and work out (and change) details as I write. But I get nervous when I'm this fuzzy about some central issues!

1 comment:

Rachel Hamby said...

Thanks for the book recommendations, Cindy. I will have to check some of these out!