Monday, January 7, 2008

Writing and fun time waster

I'm up to about 4,000 words on my chapter book. I haven't had this much fun writing something in a long time. For a while yesterday, I started obsessing over word count, readability levels, length of sentences, vocabulary, and all sorts of issues that diverted from the actual writing. Today I stopped worrying so much and instead focused on writing the best story I can. Not surprisingly, it came much easier.

When I need a quick break from writing, I generally do one of two things. First, I check the "Blue Board" (www.verlakay.com), simply the best site for comprehensive information and support for children's writers. And I also may play a few games of Web Boggle. A new game begins every three minutes, and it's truly addicting. I try to limit myself to three games because I enjoy it so much I could play all day (and truly waste a lot of time).

OK, this time this was my break. Back to writing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I am SO jealous. 4,000 words in just seven days? I've been working on my chapter book for over two years.

No, I WON'T tell you my word count!
BAWK!

Danette

Anonymous said...

P.S.
I didn't know about your SSoE website. I sent you an e-mail yesterday requesting services. Are you available? I have one job that I need a quick turn-around on, and several others over the next month-and-a-half. We may want to talk retainer. ;-)