Monday, January 14, 2008

Writing groups

I had a gloriously free morning to write, after an early run in this amazing January sunshine. It's in the 80's right now, with just a hint of an ocean breeze to cool things off. Having spent winters in New Hampshire, Connecticut, Iowa, Lake Tahoe, and Eastern Washington, I greatly appreciate days like these.

But I digress. I wanted to write today about critique groups because I'm so in love with both of mine. I spent time revising the first few chapters of my new book, following some very helpful and thoughtful comments from my small middle grade writers' group. I truly believe the philosophy behind my copyediting business -- that everyone needs a second set of eyes. And at times a third, fourth, or fifth set of eyes as well. I wonder about writers who are able to work completely on their own, without feedback from peers. Though it took me several months to have the courage to join a group after I started writing for children, I soon learned how invaluable it was. I tend to be someone who does everything very quickly, including writing, and early on rushed off manuscripts before they were ready. Critique groups help slow me down. That alone is tremendously helpful to me.

I don't know if I'm in the minority or not on this, but I love to revise. I love the process of making something instantly and tangibly better. It's one of the most satisfying parts of writing to me.

No comments: